The “Green Initiative, Too” campaign is a compilation of projects that will help further RVCC’s goal of improving energy efficiency in our historic building that will celebrate its 80th birthday in 2018.
Grant proceeds and other donated funding in our current fundraising drive will be used in 2018 to complete the following:
- Roof sealing and painting – front of main building. Seal gaps and re-paint with new-technology reflective paint to preserve tin and improve energy efficiency;
- Basketball court lighting – install timer-controlled LED lighting for newly-refurbished outdoor court and skate ramp;
- Install central air conditioning – front of main building. First phase of longer-term project to replace inefficient window units throughout main building;
- Upgrade interior lighting – remove all ballasts and replace fluorescent tubes with LEDs, to reduce energy costs by estimated 35%;
- Improve ceiling insulation in Annex – increase blown-in insulation depth to achieve code-required minimum of R38;
- Replace window treatments with energy-efficient blinds – in final two rooms of main building without them; and
- Replace floorboards, seal & refinish dining room floor – improve safety, thermal efficiency and appearance of floors damaged by steam leaks & termite infestation.
We seek to raise a total of $51,570 for this campaign. Of that amount, we ask our community to help us raise $4000. If funding permits, all of these projects are expected to be completed by July 1, 2018.
To the extent possible, work will be completed by volunteers to help defray labor costs. This is a hallmark of RVCC operations and projects, which reap the benefit of thousands of hours of volunteer help annually from our membership and larger community.